Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Mo' Meta Blues: The World According to Questlove

Mo' Meta Blues: The World According to QuestloveMo' Meta Blues: The World According to Questlove by Questlove

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


When one of the blurbs on the back of a book starts with "Attention White Girls: Stop reading about vampires and read what Questlove has to say instead," I know I need to a) listen to Amy Poehler and b) read this book!

I'm glad I did!

I had heard a few stories from this book on podcasts, which was enough to hook me. Reading about little Questlove and his musical history (from his love of the Bee Gees and 'dock rock' to all things The Roots) made me look at what's on my iPod differently.

I also learned a few things that made me think Questlove & I could be great friends. When he writes about Stevie Wonder on The Cosby Show, I squealed! That is my FAVORITE episode of the show! When he writes about his dad tossing out Prince's album every time he found it, I thought, "If only you'd grown up in my house..." TRUE STORY: My mom let me rent Purple Rain for a sleepover (that's what kids did in the 80s). I think she thought it was a musical. Imagine what happened when a group of 6 5th grade girls saw that movie. Yeah. Also, either my mom never listened to me in the car or she thought I had no idea what I was singing when Prince came on the radio. Questlove, I still don't think my mom has a clue about Prince! So can I go to his next rollerskating party? PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEEE???

I have read more than a few memoirs. I am putting this up there with some of my favorites. If your only brush with The Roots comes late at night when Jimmy Fallon is making jokey jokes, pick up this book! If you think you know everything about music, you don't know anything until you read this book!

In the words of Amy Poehler, "Read it or rot on your vine."



View all my reviews

No comments: