Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Crazy Lady Keeps Calling

I don't  usually answer my phone when I don't recognize the number. My theory: if I don't know you and you leave a message, I can decide if I want to talk to you.

About a month ago, I realized a woman had called me so many times, I should see if she left a message. She left nine. At first, it was kind of entertaining. There was a lot of "Isabel? Are you there? Will you pick up? I just want to talk to you." Then it was, "Isabel! The puppy is hurt and I need to take it to the vet! Will you meet me there? Oh, well. I thought maybe you were home."

I realized this woman would not stop calling on her own. So, one day I answered. I calmly explained that she had the wrong number. She said she Isabel gave her the number a year ago. I said I've had the number for more than five years, so she must have given her a bad number. Or maybe she wrote it down wrong.

Still, Amy called. She cried. She accused me of lying. I asked her to stop calling. She wouldn't. So, out of frustration, I said, "I understand why Isabel gave you a phony number. You're insane. Stop calling me or I'll report you to the police for harassment."

Then, I went online to find out how to block her number. I followed the instructions and the calls stopped.

Until Monday.

This is one of the five messages she left yesterday.


I thought I recorded all five, but I screwed that up. I spent a half hour on the phone with AT&T trying to figure this out and got nowhere. Now, I think this Amy Cowger lady has gotten a new number to get around my number block.

I'm not convinced I can block her again. So, for your entertainment - and a little public shaming, I'm going to post her voicemails here. She's already called me five times today. I'm sure she'll leave a few more messages.

Stay tuned.

No comments: