Sunday, March 3, 2013

Tenth of December: Stories

Tenth of December: StoriesTenth of December: Stories by George Saunders

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


It's been a while since I've read a book of short stories. Maybe too long. When I started this, I was confused. I thought maybe my book had been printed without some of the first 50 pages. Where was the beginning of the book, introducing me to the people and places? Then, I got to the second "chapter" and was even more confused. There were new characters and whole new story! By page 45, I was saying, "Um, no, dummy. These are short stories." Then, it was all clear to me.

Each story is different - with the exception of a character saying "like" and being scolded to stop saying it. Without being spoilery, I'll say some of the stories left me wanting more. Others made me happy they started and ended where they did.

Technically, I would give this 3.5 stars, but that's not an option so I rounded up. This book was at times a strange adventure and I'm still not sure how I feel about some of the stories. I'm thinking in due time I'll feel confident in the four star review.



View all my reviews

No comments: