Monday, December 22, 2008

Misadeventures in Baking

If you've been following my blog, you know that I have been desperately searching for my holiday spirit. This weekend was my final push. Julie and I went to see "Four Christmases" for some holiday inspiration. It was funny. And it made me a little anxious about going home for Christmas. While I don't have all those families to see, the one I do have is all kinds of crazy (but I am sure I will have more on that by the week's end). In fact, I bought a few gifts Saturday. See? I'm trying!

On my way home, I stopped to pick up vanilla, which I had forgotten at the store the weekend before. I decided baking some cookies would really get me excited about Christmas. Sunday, I got out all the ingredients, turned on the oven and started making the cookie dough. When I dumped in the white chocolate chips, I thought something was off. They weren't blending into the dough like they're supposed to. I tried to spoon the dough onto the baking tray and everything fell apart. I had to stick my hands into the dough, mold it into balls and put them on the tray. Hmm, I thought. This isn't right.

Then, I took the cookies out. When they came out of the oven, they weren't soft at all. I put them in a container and set about putting more cookies in the oven. I was curious about the cookies, so I took a bite.
It was rock hard. It fell apart. It was NOT good. Near tears, I dumped everything into the trash. I know it's been a while since I've made cookies (likely since last Christmas). But COME ON! How can I screw that up? Clearly I left something out or added too much of something. It was enough to make me say BAH HUMBUG. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I am sad. Things will get better. I just have to hope my family made some cookies so I can put those awful tasting things behind me.

3 comments:

jenimartinez said...

You're brave making homemade cookies. I won't even dare. With four kids, four fundraisers at their school, and me wanting to make all of them happy (because if I only buy from one, the others will get made and yada, yada, yada). I get PLENTY of frozen cookie dough and viola! "Homemade" cookies!

Nicole said...

I've made cookies HUNDREDS of times and have never had this happen to me! I'm totally discouraged. I should have bought the packaged cookies. :(

dt said...

Hey Ellie Mae-
Maybe if you baked more often your flour would be fresher. Fresher ingredients mean fresher cookies!
Just Kenny being Kenny.