Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Rude Awakening

I was dead to the world this morning. Then, something got my attention. I sat up, wondered where some beeping was coming from, then realized it was the alarm to my house!

My heart started racing. I walked to the living room, looked at my front and back doors, then tried to focus to see the garage doors - all of which were closed. So I darted down the hall, turned off the alarm and tried to reset it.

Nothing.

I picked up the phone, thinking I should call someone before I go about checking things around my house - just in case. I called the only person I knew was awake at 4:45 in the a.m. - Josie. In a daze, I explained to her what was happening. She took down my address just in case the police would be needed. I opened the back door, let Charley out and he didn't make a peep - a sure sign no one was outside.

Then, I went around checking the doors and windows more closely.

Nothing.

So I decided to call the alarm company to see what happened. I hung up with Josie, promising to call her back as soon as I finished with ADT. I was told there was an issue with the windows in either the master bathroom or bedroom. I was told to open and close the windows. Now, let me just say, when it's below freezing outside, the last thing I wanted to do was open windows - especially since I couldn't really see into that part of my back yard. Still, I did as I was told. The alarm still wouldn't activate. The alarm lady told me something I did not know: if it's really cold outside, the window frames can shrink a bit and that can make the alarm connections slip.

GREAT. Foiled by cold weather!

I was taught how to bypass that part of my house so I could set the alarm and try to go back to sleep. I called Josie to let her know what was happening. Then, I wondered how I would return to sleepytime. Josie gave me some good advice - which I won't share here because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I slept a few more hours, but I am sooo tired today! I will need to get caffeinated to make it through the day at work. Oh - as for the alarm... once the weather warmed up some, I opened and closed the windows again. The alarm beeped to acknowledge I had done that and all is good - for now. Here's hoping I don't get another wake up call like that again!

2 comments:

killian said...

ok, this is bizzare, because at 2:20 this morning, my car alarm went off... for no apparent reason other than it is freaking freezing here. God help me tomorrow night,when the overnight low is supposed to be 5 degrees. Yes, I typed that right- FIVE DEGREES. How crazy? I hope your alarm doesn't do it again.... that jolt of nerves/fear is never a good thing in the middle of the night...

Nicole said...

The alarm going off in the middle of the night is just a cruel, cruel joke by mother nature.

I mean, had I known the cold weather could do something like that, I would have cranked up the heat and made it a balmy 80 degrees inside my house!

I don't believe it's going to freeze tonight. I just hope the weather peeps are off in your neck of the woods! That's insane!!!

Here's hoping we get a full night's sleep - minus the alarms!