Monday, May 17, 2010

Facebook Is Still Creepy

I changed my relationship status last week and ever since then, the ads on the right column have just been creepy. Take a look:
Let's see... there's the guy who appears to be gay - but I can flirt with him for free. I can be matched with another single by chemistry (how do they do that - match my snark or does it involve a swabbing/blood sample?). Single dads? What could I possibly write on my FB profile that would make that ad appear? (Single dads, I'm not saying you're creepy. Just saying I don't believe a Single Moms dating site would get the same interest.)And if that's not enough for you, take a look at this ad:

Maybe I've watched a bit too much news, but this looks like a guy who would make his big TV debut on "To Catch a Predator." 

I love being able to connect with my friends and family on FB. I do not love the ads. I know they are necessary for the company to make a profit (and if they start charging, I'll leave the creepy ads and the social network without much sadness). But I'd like to opt out of the dating ads. If someone can tell me how to do that, I promise not to sign you up for any of those dating sites. 

My fingers are not crossed. 

Promise.

No comments: