Monday, April 19, 2010

I'm All Lathered Up

I am a bit of a hand washer. I'm not one of those people who takes a quick swipe of soap, rubs my hand together like I'm working in a NASCAR pit crew and then rinses. I mean, I scrub in like it's surgery (only I rarely get elbow-deep in suds).

So, let me explain how frustrating it is when the liquid soap dispenser just stops working. I tried my best to take a picture to show you what's bugging me.
It's a little hard to see here because the soap container is twisted, but the pump does not reach the bottom of the container. What happens is, with about half an inch of soap left, you cannot, no matter how fast or furious you smash the pump, it will NOT reach the last bits of soap. You have to take the top off, tilt the container to the side and wait for the soap to drip out of the opening.

Why don't the soap makers understand this? Are they just focused on the soap itself (color, texture, scent) and what the container looks like? When you put a pump in a product - whether it's soap, shampoo, lotion, etc. - you expect it to make things easier. You do not expect to have to yell curse words at the soap because it will not leap into the pump no matter how hard you hit it.

Yes, I could go with a different style of soap - bar soap would probably be easiest. But the thought of touching a bar of soap with my bare hands grosses me out. I have to try not to think about what was last on the soap because I know those cooties are being transferred to me, wherever the soap sits, and, of course, the soap itself. But I buy the dispensers with the pump because it seems like one of the cleaner options. If they can't fix the pump problem (and why not, dammit?), then they should put a warning on the package saying you'll have to work a lot harder to get the last of the product. Otherwise, they're just jerks.

No comments: