Monday, April 5, 2010

We Can't Pay Attention, But We're Still Rich & Famous

I'm surfing the internet this morning (look, it's what I do, so get over it). I come across this story on CNN:
19 Celebs Who Have ADHD
I click on the link, which takes me to a Parenting website. The list includes some big names:
  • Justin Timberlake
  • Will Smith
  • Jim Carrey
  • Howie Mandel
  • Pete Rose
It lists their accomplishments. What is the point of this? If you're asking that while reading this, stick with me. I have a point.

I guess it just means that parents - and kids who are diagnosed with ADHD or ADD - should not use it as an excuse. Kids can go on to do great things. Don't let a label define them. Medicate or find activities that keep them focused. Encourage them. Find patience (I know that may be easier said than done as I'm looking for mine and I don't have kids).

Can you imagine what the world would have missed if any of those people had let that diagnosis define who them? Instead, they found a passion, followed it and focused on it - and more. We should all be so lucky!

No comments: