Monday, June 21, 2010

I'm On Probation

Book buying probation, that is.

You see, I am a member of Borders Rewards program. I get great coupons in my email that I can use online or in the store. Another perk: fantastic pre-order specials. You might remember this post, in which I decided I was going to read more books (and this time I meant it). Have you looked at the right column on this blog? I have read a few books already! BABY STEPS!!! When I spied this list of summer "must reads," I thought that would be a good start. I figured those books were released a few weeks apart, so when I got them at such great deals online, I ordered, thinking I would have time to finish one, then start another - no backlog.

Not so fast.
Those are the books currently on my nightstand. I'm currently reading "Last Call." It's a very interesting look at prohibition (and if you don't have the patience to read the 370-some pages, just wait - Ken Burns is turning it into a documentary for PBS). Next up, that Stephanie Meyer book. Then, that historical-type book (that's my inner nerd's pick). "The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake" and "The Passage" are at the bottom - kind of like saving the best for last! I was super excited when I ordered them, then saw John Searles picked them, too! I "met" him on twitter and he's now my go-to guy when I'm book shopping.

I'm not allowing myself to buy any more books until I at least make it to "The Passage." That one is 700 pages or so. It could be winter before I finish it! I hope it doesn't take that long. Once fall TV returns, I tend to read less. 

Now, I turn to you. What are you reading? And if you're interested in reading any of those books, let me know. I'll send it to you when I finish!


PS - If you're looking for more summer book suggestions, go here.

No comments: