Sunday, July 18, 2010

BREAKING NEWS: Magazines Are Suckas!

When I opened my mailbox and found two of the regular weeklies inside, I was a bit surprised to see them bragging in ways only magazines can brag about their "exclusives."
Here's a closer look:
The competition went with an "in your face" approach.
They also used different wording.
Now, luckily the engagement of Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston isn't exactly groundbreaking journalism. But I have to wonder if these kids played the magazines, making them think they were getting a good scoop (likely for a nice check in return) or if these magazines really thought they were the only ones getting this story? BTW - the kids conveniently did not tell People they were engaged, just that they were getting back together, which makes me think US Weekly paid them a little more.

Either way, it's one of my news peeves! I cannot stand when someone brands a story as exclusive when it is, in fact, not solely their story. If you're going to slap words like "exclusive" and "first" all over your story, you'd better be damned sure that no one else has it. Otherwise, you look like fools! Yes, I realize reading these magazines doesn't exactly make me appear to be the most hard-pressed news hound out there, but magazines are one of my guilty pleasures. Get over it.

PS - I have read the stories. You're not missing anything. But I would like to start a pool as to how long the marriage will last. I've seen "Teen Mom" on MTV. I know those relationships don't last a lifetime!

No comments: