Saturday, November 27, 2010

Itty Bitty Ridiculous

I spent some time this holiday weekend watching television (excuses: it was chilly outside, I didn't want to stab some grabby holiday shopper, I had a rough Thanksgiving) and stumbled upon a silly commercial.

You know how hard it is to get out of a car with your umbrella and try to stay dry?
Sorry. This is the closest photo I could find of someone doing that.

This commercial showed a woman with a giant umbrella and pouring rain outside her car. The door got wet (and there was an "Ugh. I hate that!" uttered) and so did she. So, I'm thinking this new invention could be a MUST HAVE. Then I saw it.
That's the itty bitty brella.

Good: it's so small, you can open it inside your car.
Bad: it's so small, it will cover your head, leaving the rest of you all wet.

I don't know about you, but I find the whole "putting on the rain slicker in the car" thing to be more challenging than opening an umbrella in the car. But this is not the silliest way to protect just your hair from showers. Take a look at this other contraption.
That's nubrella.

Good: it's hands-free and could be used at Halloween as part of your Lady GaGa costume.
Bad: it's only protecting your head and shoulders and if it's a summer rainstorm, you'll sweat to death.

These two inventions have the right idea - keeping us dry - but they don't seem to do it well. I'll stick to my super cool umbrella from Squid London.

It changes color in the rain! Mine is not the London skyline, but it's just as cool! And you know what? It keeps most of me dry!

No comments: