Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Help. Me.

Friends, I have a problem. I can't stop adding books to my nightstand. Taking this picture this morning made me a bit ashamed.
If you follow this blog, you might recognize a few of those books from a post back in June. I started "7 Events That Made America America" and it's super slow. It might look like a small book, but the print is really small and I'm having a hard time getting past the bias. There's a very good chance I might not finish it. If you're interested in it, let me know and I'll send it to you. I haven't even opened "The Passage." I'm scared. It's too big (that's what she said) and I'm afraid that hauling it around could give me a back injury. If you're saying, "That's why you should have an eReader!" let me say this: that Tony Blair book has been attacked by soup not once but TWICE. I'm not sure if my hand thinks Tony needs to eat something or if I'm just so clumsy and that book is so big that I can't help but spill on it. To be clear, I haven't just splashed on the book. I have full-on covered the book in soup. I would be absolutely sick if I did that to an eReader of any kind! As for the book, it's interesting (once you get passed the whole MP business and down to the PM stuff), but I've been taking a slow approach to it. It's as if my little brain says, "Woah! Slow down! We can't handle all of that at once!"

I have been trying to balance the fiction with non-fiction. I think it's necessary to take a mental adventure after reading about the harsh truths. If I didn't try to find that balance, I'd be crazier/drunker. Note: I don't always drink when I'm reading. Sometimes I read at work and there's not booze there. Believe me. I've looked!

While I previously placed myself on book-buying probation, I am quite proud of the number of books I have read this year (see column on the right). It was my way of making sure I held myself accountable after making a pledge to read more books. That said, I am accepting books. I'm just trying not to buy them until I get through at least half of that stack. I think I might have a good chance at doing that since my favorite TV shows are coming to an end. Keep your eye posted on the right column for my progress. And if you want to read any of the books I have in that pile, let me know. I love to pass on a book!

No comments: