Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Word of the Day: Revirtigo

I learned this word from last night's episode of How I Met Your Mother (see, I watch educational stuff, too). There were a couple of times I nearly spit my shredded wheat out of my mouth this morning. Here's my recap.

Robin's first boyfriend is coming to town. His name is Simon (AKA Dawson from Dawson's Creek). She says he smelled like a car and had a Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt collection. Barney: Tell me more, tell me more, like did he have a car? Robin wants to win when she sees him. She wants to show him what he missed out on. This becomes a big challenge for her.

They broke up after one week - he left her for a girl with a pool. He shows up and is balding, dressed like a teenager. Simon works at a water park. He still has his band, the Fourskins - don't be dirty - so named because there are four of them and they play without shirts. Robin swoons.

Barney asks if she met him at Degrassi. The gang learns Robin & Simon met while shooting her video. Barney says he's seen Let's Go To The Mall (see video) several times, but never saw Simon. Robin says it was in her second video. Barney vows not to eat or sleep until he finds it.

While all that is going on, Marshall says Robin has Revirtigo, when you meet someone from your past and behave like you used to. Robin proves the case when she says Simon showed up at her apartment, saying breaking up with her was the biggest mistake of his life, then he asks her out, to which she says yes. Marshall says Lily suffers revirtigo when she's with her high school friend, Michelle. When those two are together, it's like they're hoodrats - lots of ghetto speak.

So, Robin goes to see the Fourskins (they're actually wearing shirts - Simon's a liar). He gets Robin to play his music on the news - this is while pictures of cute dogs who are up for adoption play. Lily forbids Robin from seeing Simon. Robin says she's going to go all the way with Simon and storms off. She sees Simon and he tells her he's going back to the same girl he left Robin for last time. The reason: her parents got a jacuzzi.

There's a sweet moment between Robin and Barney. She's crying about the break up. She wants to be 16 again. Barney tells her she was lame 10 years ago. Robin invites Barney back to her place. It goes a little something like this:

Barney: Should I put it in?
Robin: Yeah. Why not?


That's what Barney puts in. Robin's video. She calls it her artistic follow up to LGTM. Cameos from Tiffany and Alan Thicke!

Barney: It's everything I want it to be and more!

Then...they kiss! Nothing good can come from that. I just hope Robin doesn't have revirtigo with Barney. That would make me sad!

2 comments:

shea said...

OMG! I am crying laughing. I LOVE "HIMYM" and missed it this week! Their flashback episodes are some of the funniest.

Nicole said...

I agree. I love Robin Sparkles! It reminds me of the big hair days. Plus, it's nice to see Tiffany & Alan Thicke are getting work!