Monday, August 25, 2008

I'm Frustrated

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about the pains of home ownership. This weekend, I had yet ANOTHER misadventure with premature heating inside my home.

Saturday night, it started to feel warm inside. I went to the thermostat and it said it was 82 degrees. I grabbed a flashlight and went outside to look at the unit, which was running. ICE. AGAIN.

I shut it down, thinking I could do what I've done in the past: let it de-ice, then turn it back on. I know this is only a temporary fix, but I was hoping the unit would hold out until winter, as the heater works just fine. Sunday morning, I wake up and fire up the cool air. Nothing. I try the heater again, that works. I open windows, letting warm, muggy air inside. I call the home warranty people and decide I will wait to talk to a real, live human. I talk to a woman named Joan who was very patient with me as I (literally) melted down while on the phone.

I'm hot. I'm tired. My head hurts. Clearly there's a leak in the unit. I just hope whatever is wrong is covered by the warranty and that they don't try to screw me out of the repair cost. You see, a few years ago, I had a car that had a/c problems and the mechanic just dumped freon into it. Turns out, there was a leak and it froze up my compressor. Since the last two guys who have come out to perform maintenance on the unit have just added freon and never checked for a leak before doing so, I plan to raise holy h-e-double hockey sticks if they give me a hard time.

Then again, my blood is pretty warm already, so there's no telling what I'll do if things don't go my way.

I'll keep you posted. Think cool thoughts for me!

No comments: