Thursday, December 1, 2011

Who Wants To Go To The Movies?

As we tick closer to Awards Season (it's a REAL season, people - get over yourselves), the better movies start popping up in theaters. So, here's my instant judgment on what's opening this month.

WHAT I'LL SEE
Shame
I don't know a whole lot about this movie other than it stars Carey Mulligan (LOVE) and some actor I've never heard of (Michael Fassbender) goes full frontal. I don't know that I'll rush to the theater for this one, but it definitely gets a spot in my Netflix queue.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Soviet spy movie starring Colin Firth? Um, yes, please! I haven't read the book or seen the previous version of this movie, so I can go into it hoping to be entertained. Plus, Colin Firth.

Young Adult

Because I still watch Juno every time it comes on TV, I will continue to give Diablo Cody movies a chance (except that Jennifer's Body - I'd rather listen to Justin Bieber on a loop for 24 hours). I am also rooting for Charlize Theron to make a comeback. She's super talented - and gorgeous, DUH.

The Sitter

Full disclosure: This is going straight to my Netflix queue. Here's why I'll watch this: Jonah Hill. And this kind of looks like a new take on Adventures in Babysitting.

We Need To Talk About Kevin

This looks totally depressing. So, I'm in. Tilda Swinton is also a fascinating actress. Have you ever noticed how her face ACTUALLY changes with her emotions? Freaky.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Have I mentioned lately how happy I am Robert Downey, Jr., is not on the drugs? Because he's brilliant! I like his Sherlock. The character, you perverts!

Carnage

Oh, I get it now. Parents confronting the issues of their troubled children is the new Wall Street movies (which replaced the old Mideast war movies). This cast is uh-MAZE-eeeng. I will make sure I have tissues in my bag.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

I haven't read any of these books, but Daniel Craig is in this.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

I'm not 100% sold on this, but if I have a late morning/early afternoon free and I've seen everything else, I'll check this out in the theater. Otherwise, I'll wait till it hits HBO. While I like Jeremy Renner, there's the whole Tom Cruise business - he's ALL OVER THIS! Yuck.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

This title sounds a little like my worst public nightmare: some loud talker is standing a few inches away from me. But this movie is not at all about that. I saw the trailer in the theater and teared up. Also, I will not quit Tom Hanks even when his movies make me mad that they're not as good as I hoped.

We Bought A Zoo

The title makes me roll my eyes. But, there's Matt Damon. And this is a Cameron Crowe movie, so the music will be awesome.

WHAT I WON'T SEE
  • New Year's Eve - Look, I like Garry Marshall, but any time you put this many stars in one movie, it just disappoints. There's never enough of the one or two stars that made you think it can't be that bad. Plus, these totally predictable movies are TOO LONG. And (most importantly), they're not Love Actually.
  • I Melt With You - I love Rob Lowe. But he's not enough for me to want to see this. It sounds like that TV show I don't watch (Men of a Certain Age). And not funny.
  • Alvin and The Chipmunks: Chip-Wrecked - I know I'm not the target audience for this, but I have ears and a little bit of chipmunk goes a LONG way.
  • In The Land of Blood and Honey - Ugh. This Angelina Jolie flick sounds super long and really boring. It's probably important, but...no.
  • War Horse - Usually, I'll watch anything that includes the words "Steven Spielberg" in the credits, but I can't do this.

No comments: