Monday, June 23, 2008

My (Stinky) Home Town

I packed up my car, making space for Charley & Chaplin, and headed South. Let me tell you, traveling with a kitten is NOT easy. He would cry for a few minutes, then go to sleep, then wake up and do it all over again. It was super hot outside, thankfully my A/C kept us cool. Here's a picture I took on the highway.
See the pretty clouds? Can you feel the heat? I wish I would have taken a picture of the dalmation riding in the back of a pickup on the access road. He was standing up on the truck and having a good time. He was coming at me, so I didn't have a chance to get my phone.

Then, I knew I was closer to my destination when I was greeted by the stench of refineries. I don't care what the companies say, if it smells that bad, there's absolutely no way it can be safe for people to live close to refineries. But is this REALLY the way you want to welcome people to your city?I don't think so. Luckily, my parents live far from those smelly refineries.

I will post more from the "Sparkling City by the Sea" later. That's actually the motto. Two things: this joint does NOT sparkle and it is NOT by the sea. It's a bay. Then, there's a gulf. LIES.

2 comments:

Julie said...

So much for hometown pride! I hope you are feeling better and can enjoy your time at home.

Nicole said...

oh - wait till i post my hood pictures. the ghetto is awesome.

my throat's still a tiny bit sore, but i have more energy. i still feel like taking a nap though.